Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ricky Martin: 'I Am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48pm PDT by Access Hollywood in Stop The Presses!

NEW YORK, N.Y. -- After years of keeping quiet about his personal life, pop star Ricky Martin has announced that he is gay.

"I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man," Ricky said in a message posted on his offical Web site. "I am very blessed to be who I am."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Gay & Lesbian Hollywood

Ricky said writing his memoir and thinking about his two twin sons led him to go public.

"To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where [sic] born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment," he wrote.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: The 'Vida Loca' Of Ricky Martin

Though the 38-year-old kept his sexuality private throughout most of his career, Ricky said he drew strength from that time.

"These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed," he continued. "What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution."

Earlier this month, Barbara Walters told The Toronto Star that her 2000 interview with the "Livin' La Vida Loca" singer, where she grilled him about coming out, was a misstep on her part.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hollywood Dads

"In 2000, I pushed Ricky Martin very hard to admit if he was gay or not, and the way he refused to do it made everyone decide that he was," she told The Toronto Star. "A lot of people say that destroyed his career, and when I think back on it now, I feel it was an inappropriate question."

Ricky also Tweeted a link to his coming out announcement on his Web site, simply writing, "my life."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Celebrity Gays & Their Gal Pals

In an earlier Tweet on Monday, the singer posted a quote attributed to the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. M.L.K.Jr.," he wrote.

Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
PLAY IT NOW: PSA: Join Ricky Martin, Ellen DeGeneres, Adam Lambert & More To Help 'Rebuild Haiti'
PLAY IT NOW: 8th Annual Latin Grammy Awards: Arrivals

MORE ACCESS ON THESE TOPICS: Ricky Martin - LGBT - Latino - Music - TV
9331 Comments

1. www.simplyfree4u.com - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02pm PDT
Well said Ricky!
Report abuse

2. norman - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07pm PDT
He must have been the last one to figure this out
Report abuse

3. Felix - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07pm PDT
so what is the "news" out of this?
Report abuse

4. CubanS - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07pm PDT
i knew for a very long time , took you long enough !
Report abuse

5. amar - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07pm PDT
FINALLY!!!!
Report abuse

6. Shelley - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08pm PDT
====WOW===== I NEVER SAW THIS COMING!!!
Report abuse

7. Tigger - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Duh... Like this is any big mystery? I love Ricky Martin, but he always made my gaydar twitch. I wish him happiness.
Report abuse

8. Pete - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Yeah Like everyone didn't already know !!!
Report abuse

9. juju - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Oh, good Lord, who DIDN'T know he was gay???
Report abuse

10. - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
And this is a surprise to who?
Report abuse

11. Mary - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
you are who you are--------no one should judge no one!!!! we still love you just the same!!!
Report abuse

12. LuisC - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
We knew this years ago...he's like a sister (Puerto Rican girl you)
Report abuse

13. Joseph - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Ricky! You the man!!!!!
Report abuse

14. Randy - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Good for you God bless you Ricky !!!
Report abuse

15. MELCHOR - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Era De esperarse
Report abuse

16. sil sil - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
well yeah he is.. cause no straight man can shake his hips like that..

more power to u ricky!!
Report abuse

17. Ambar - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
awwwwwww :)
Report abuse

18. michael k - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Second!
Good job for coming out and telling the truth!
Report abuse

19. Sam - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
Wow...what a surprise. DUH!
Report abuse

20. Lois - Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09pm PDT
I am so sad
Report abuse
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Next »
Leave Your Comment
You must sign in to leave a comment

No comments: